Home Forums PPS Members Forum Value of BNG wax postal bag seals.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

A PPS member (a friend) and I are entering into an exchange agreement. We know the value of his item but both of us are stumped as far as a fair value for the BNG wax postal bag seals as shown below. One is of Woodlarks and the other Baniara. Any help with valuation would be greatly appreciated.
      Sid

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Sid.
    • Mr A J
      Participant

The number of postal items identified from Baniara can be counted on one hand, so it surprises me the need for a postal bag seal. In saying that, Roger Lee states mail from Baniara was probably bagged up (with possible use of a wax seal) and processed at Samarai or Buna Bay.
      Obviously rare, but as to value…….no idea!
      It is also possible a wax seal example could also have been supplied per favour at a later time.

• Kainnikanada
      Participant

I believe the two examples you’ve posted are identical to the non-contemporaneous strikes provided me in 1981 by a former District officer who was stationed in Papua New Guinea post WWII. He supplied me with multiple strikes of the Woodlarks B.N.G. and Baniara P-N.G. seals in sealing wax I supplied him.

Note the “P-N.G.” designation of the Baniara seal – was this supplied to some location post 1952?

The two scans I’ve uploaded do not appear when I submit this post.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Kainnikanada. Reason: Duplicate post
      • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Kainnikanada.
      • Sid
        Participant

The seals/wax impressions I have came from a person who lived on Woodlarks
        post WWII. I never felt that these were from the 1900’s era as they appear
        too new and the paper is not that old.

Kainnikanada kindly replied to my query as shown below:-
        “I believe the two examples you’ve posted are identical to the
        non-contemporaneous strikes provided me in 1981 by a former District
        officer who was stationed in Papua New Guinea post WWII. He supplied me
        with multiple strikes of the Woodlarks B.N.G. and Baniara P-N.G. seals in
        sealing wax I supplied him.” One thing for sure Kainnikanada’s scans show
        seals identical to mine.

Tony Griffin backs this all up. He states ” I understand that some BNG
        mailbag seal implements were found in a post office safe and that gave rise
        to the contemporaneous usage seen on Sid’s examples.”

Lee states that “Modern impressions are in deep red/black wax” as these.
        So have we established that these are copies of the original seals that
        were used. Not forgeries or fakes. Shame as I collect forgeries.
        But back to my original question, Value? However it appears that Pheonix feel they are worth something:-
        Pheonix Lot 1227:Tamata: ‘POST OFFICE/CROWN/TAMATA’ impression in deep red
        wax, some minor cracking & small segment missing at right. Ex John
        Nicholson who believed the seal was discovered in a safe at Abau Distict
        Office around 1955. Buy it now $120.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.